Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The California ZephyrCurrent mood:sleepy For those of you wishing to travel and dreading the weather and the delays, I want to tell you that I took the California Zephyr over the Sierras the week before Christmas and home again the day before. On the highway below, there were creeping cars and semis, occasionally in white-out conditions. I, on the other hand, felt safe and cozy, watching from the dome car; I saw my first northern goshawk, some busy quail in the snow and a number of deer. The forest was a fantasy of light, snow and greenery. The train slowed considerably during one storm, but a locomotive plow moved into place ahead of us and cleared those hundred-year-old tracks for us. It was wonderful. My sweetie thinks we should spring for the sleeper car next time, though; the reclining seats are comfy enough in the coaches, and the days spent in the observation car were fun. But we both felt the effects of true sleep deprivation going and coming home; the conductors did a fine job of keeping the area quiet, but there were just a lot of interruptions, stops, people needing drinks or to go downstairs to the biffy. Biffy. That's one I haven't heard or used in about 35 years! But I digress. The food was fine, there was booze to be had. You could wander at will or stay put in your reserved seat, which is close in size to first class in a plane, only a little larger, and certainly with more freedom.The train is THE way to go if you want to avoid airport delays, highway mishaps, and crummy weather. Friends reported that it took them four days to get from Oakland to Portland, Oregon because of weather delays and grounded planes.Here on the high desert of Utah we got at least a foot of snow in the valleys today and they are expecting four feet in the ski areas nearby. Happy and safe traveling, everyone! I hope your Christmas was as calm and bright as mine was...all of my best girls, my honey, and my favorite son were in abundance, here and there. Lucky me. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment