Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Jo and Honey interview the DirtdivaThis is a voluntary interview, conducted by a really earnest dog and her person.1. Honey is asking this one – If God (dog spelled backwards) honored you by allowing you to be a dog, what breed/type would you ask to be and why? I'd be a Standard Poodle; big enough to kick ass, but with Naturally Curly Hair.2. If a tv show was made of your life would it be a comedy, drama, cartoon, soap opera, cop procedural, or animal program? I'd like it to be a cartoon strip like 'Frazz.' He's a highly evolved janitor at an elementary school, where he interacts with the brightest kids, who are generally on their way to detention since their teachers are NEVER ready for the answers they give!3. If you could live anywhere in the world with your whole family able to visit/live there, too, where would it be, and why? If we were all there, it wouldn't matter to me where we were, but knowing my girls' and my sweetie's preferences, it would have clean tidal water to swim in and to investigate; a grove of trees for me and a clear view of the night sky. OH! And a really really good library within walking distance. A bar and an ice cream parlor wouldn't hurt, either. 4. What should I plant to the right of my double front doors to replace the Bird of Paradise that was there? (full sun and wanting some sort of ornamental or evergreen or accent for the entry.) Hey, you ARE the Dirt Diva, right? *innocent look*:D I love it! Take a look at "Black Lace Elderberry" (Sambucus Nigra Eva). It's a hardy perennial, not too thirsty after it's established. It has lovely dark purple to black foliage, can be pruned to a 6-8 foot tree or cut off at the ground each fall to produce a bush. It blooms pink or white in the spring, very fragrant. (Here come the butterflies and bees) It produces berries for the birds later in the season. WARNING: the berries are toxic until cooked, so if Honey likes to eat the landscaping it's not a good choice, although you can clip off the blossoms after they are spent and no berries will be produced. For eye-popping ground cover below, plant lime green Japanese creeper (also called Creeping Speedwell), also a drought-resistant hardy perennial. 5. What is your favorite Ivan Doig novel and why? I like all of his novels, mostly set in early 1900s Montana. I like his sparse writing, his ear for dialogue, and his descriptions of the landscapes. He has written some very believable characters, some of whom show up in his other writing, too. One of the best in my estimation is "House of Blue Sky." Thanks, Jo for such pleasant questions!

2 comments:

  1. Did Honey really ask you these questions? My memory doesn’t stretch back that far. Oh, and I do believe I am going to find a Sambucus Nigra Eva (I love learning the Latin (?) names of plants.) That bare place still exists to the right of the front doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Honey didn't ask these questions, who did?
    I'm thinking of planting another black sambuca or two in some large pots on my patio next year, with lime green sweet potato vines beneath. IF I get to plant. I am without Jeeves, now, as you know, and am pretty crippled until a hip can be replaced. And then at least one shoulder. Planting may be limited to 2" pots until further notice. I do love the Black Sambucas that I did manage to plant around our condo complex when I was in charge of such things. Good luck! I have one next to my front door, and the fragrance is wonderful in the mornings and evenings.

    ReplyDelete