Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Current mood:pensiveI am so grateful to my dad that he finally recorded his Navy memoirs. None of us knew his story, since he was like so many others: didn't want to talk about it. His story fills most of a spiral notebook, and I'm so glad we have it. I've made photocopies for my brothers, and it is archived in two different sites online. Now I'm married to a Vietnam vet, and he is still, after 40+ years, unwilling to put it on paper, although we've spent untold hours and nights undergoing talk/weep/hug therapy. He doesn't want to be judged, although anyone who would judge him does not deserve to know him. He is an amazing, gentle giant of a man who still makes my heart skip when he walks into a room, after 47 years together. (We met in 3rd grade, dated through high school, married young. That's how I can be 29 and have all this history with him. :D)I hope all of you who know and love a vet will urge them to record their stories before they are lost. The "Greatest Generation" doesn't have to be the last great generation. But without those stories, the history, the personal cost and sacrifice goes unnoticed, unresolved, unthanked.

No comments:

Post a Comment