Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Oct 16, 2008The reddest stateCurrent mood:energeticNow hear this. I have just returned home from the presidential debate which was shown on the big screen in one of my favorite theaters, Brewvies: a pub, a brewery, a decent diner and a movie theater all in one corner bar. It is a precious blend in the land of Zion. An amazing and lovely thing to behold. Best of all, in this scarlet, crimson, redder-than-red state, unless you're talking about BYU Cougar Blue (It's an actual color, folks) it is right there in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah. The crowd was standing room only, so maybe 400 of us with our best friends. From what I could determine, exactly 4 of them were McCain supporters, and they beat it out of there the moment Bob Schieffer thanked us all for coming. I feel energized and elated, and anxious for voting day, since I'll be working the polls for about 15 hours, and will get a chance to see how it all goes down. The crowd tonight was boisterous and cooperative, waiting for their pizzas, hummus plates and Guinness. There was a party atmosphere, with "JOE!" becoming our drinking tip. But when the questions were asked and the candidates spoke, a hush came over the mostly college-age and post-college crowd. There were also a few old people like myself-- burnouts and retirees. I was braced for a noisy, "shut up we can't hear" kind of night. Instead, it was FABulous to see the way everyone was paying attention. I have regained my trust in the next generation if this crowd was any sampling. Best of all, no one beat up the McCain creeps. I mean vocal supporters. At least not while I was there. It was a neat thing to see in this uptight little village in Zion. I am hopeful that Mr. Obama will serve out his presidency with honor and with good health. May it be 8 years, if his plans can come together the way he presents them. It's a long shot, but I'm willing to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment